Mechanical Engineer - 2024 Summer Internship
About the Program
Our goal is to give you a real sense of what it’s like to work at Jane Street full time. Over the course of your internship, you will explore ways to approach and solve exciting problems within your field of interest through fun and challenging classes, interactive sessions, and group discussions—and then you will have the chance to put those lessons to practical use.
As an intern, you are paired with full-time employees who act as mentors, collaborating with you on real-world projects we actually need done. When you’re not working on your project, you will have plenty of time to use our office amenities, physical and virtual educational resources, attend guest speakers and social events, and engage with the parts of our work that excite you the most.
If you’ve never thought about a career in finance, you’re in good company. Many of us were in the same position before working here. If you have a curious mind, a collaborative spirit, and a passion for solving interesting problems, we have a feeling you’ll fit right in.
About the Position
As a Mechanical Engineer intern, you’ll support our highly technical group that is responsible for providing our trading and data center environments. Our goal is to design and manage reliable trading floors and data centers that optimize the work experience at Jane Street.
You will work with the group to perform engineering work related to the research and inspections of site conditions and equipment, including designing more efficient systems and office spaces.
Over the course of your internship, you’ll learn to:
- Think about infrastructure design and resiliencies associated with trading environments
- Understand the communication protocol topology necessary for critical infrastructure monitoring and trending
- Prepare project documents, including but not limited to: meeting minutes, field reports, and investigation reports
- Plan for design capacity on a local and global perspective
- Collaborate in a fast-paced environment with engineers and non-engineers
We don’t expect you to have a background in finance or any other specific field—we’re looking for smart people who enjoy solving interesting problems. We’re more interested in how you think and learn than what you currently know. You should be:
- Pursuing a mechanical or electrical engineering degree; hands-on experience in one or more of these areas is preferred
- Open-minded and willing to learn engineering skills outside of a specific discipline
- Comfortable in an IT-centric environment
- A strong communicator who can describe detailed problems with brevity and accuracy
- Able to demonstrate well-reasoned engineering decisions and sound design experience
- Interested in sustainability and wellness goals for office spaces
- Pursuing professional engineering licensure (EIT is recommended)
- Intending to start full-time employment in 2025
- Fluency in English required
Base salary is $125,000.