Network Engineer - 2024 Summer Internship
About the Program
Our goal is to give you a real sense of what it’s like to work at Jane Street full time. Over the course of your internship, you will explore ways to approach and solve exciting problems within your field of interest through fun and challenging classes, interactive sessions, and group discussions—and then you will have the chance to put those lessons to practical use.
As an intern, you are paired with full-time employees who act as mentors, collaborating with you on real-world projects we actually need done. When you’re not working on your project, you will have plenty of time to use our office amenities, physical and virtual educational resources, attend guest speakers and social events, and engage with the parts of our work that excite you the most.
If you’ve never thought about a career in finance, you’re in good company. Many of us were in the same position before working here. If you have a curious mind, a collaborative spirit, and a passion for solving interesting problems, we have a feeling you’ll fit right in.
About the Position
As a Network Engineer intern, you’ll work with full-timers to learn how we maintain and improve a critical piece of infrastructure underlying our firm’s technology. Our numerous distributed systems are built on a reliable, multi-vendor network infrastructure that supports all traffic profiles from trading to internet connectivity.
On any given day, we might be:
- Working on cross-team projects such as site expansions and new colocation builds
- Debugging routing protocols
- Provisioning new market data feeds and connections to third parties
- Automating support tasks and improving the team's ability to monitor the network
You’ll have a unique opportunity to see how our team interacts with several groups to build solutions that work on a firm-wide scale. We automate as much of our work as we can because we find that automation reduces our error rate and overall workload—plus, we think it's fun.
Your internship project might consider big-picture questions that we’re still trying to figure out, or involve building something new. Your mentors will help you understand the range of problems we solve every day, from finding new and interesting ways to resolve production issues quickly, to performing comprehensive root-cause analyses and integrating clean and robust long-term fixes.
We don’t expect you to have a background in one specific field—we’re looking for smart people who enjoy solving interesting problems. We’re more interested in how you think and learn than what you currently know. You should be:
- Able to understand network protocols (ARP, BGP, OSPF) at a basic level
- Knowledgeable of operating system fundamentals and computer architecture
- A strong programmer who can demonstrate high potential and an aptitude for learning
- Intellectually curious, collaborative, and eager to learn
- Humble and unafraid to ask questions and admit mistakes
- A strong communicator
- Comfortable at the command line of a *nix machine
- Intending to start full-time employment in 2025
- Fluency in English required
Base salary is $250,000.