Hardware Signal Integrity Engineering Internship - 2024 (3-6 month term)
Arista Networks is a fast growing company and an industry leader in the ethernet switch industry. Our switch systems have touched every corner of the market - from the data centers of the world’s largest cloud-computing companies, to your local university’s server room, and every application in between. We design virtually all of the hardware and software that goes into our products and it’s a badge we wear proudly. This wouldn’t be possible without the likes of talented engineers who are given the opportunity to fully lead their own projects and the freedom to think outside the box. Whether you are an intern, a junior engineer or someone who’s been around the block, one thing is for certain - you will leave your mark. We are looking for a motivated intern or co-op student to join the Hardware Design Team at our headquarters in Santa Clara, CA, in the heart of Silicon Valley. In this position, you will gain experience testing the latest networking technologies on state-of-the-art network analyzers, while learning the theory behind designing systems with multi-gigabit signals.
POTENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Board level characterization of 4 port networks using VNA’s, and TDR’s
- Eye measurements on PCA’s (Ethernet compliance analyzers), high speed sampling and real time oscilloscopes, Digital communication Analyzers,
- 3D modeling and simulation of PCB and interconnect structures using tools such as HFSS, ADS
- passive SI test board designs, such as breakout boards, compliance test boards, etc.
- Time-permitting: other board characterization tasks (power transients, debugging, etc.)
CONCEPTS AND SKILLS YOU MAY LEARN
- How to use complex signal integrity measurement tools such as VNAs, TDRs, sampling oscilloscopes, and more
- Simulation software for signal integrity
- Next generation I/O with SerDes (Serializer-DeSerializer) with PAM4 signaling
- Schematic design and layout tools for board design
ARISTA'S UNIQUE CULTURE
- Awesome Technical Experience: You will work on high power, high speed, and high complexity systems that use the latest generation of communication protocols.
- High Degree of Responsibility: Whenever possible, interns are given lead responsibility for a design. You could be responsible for a complex logic module deployed across multiple revenue-generating products.
- Strong Mentorship: It is part of Arista's culture to ask questions, teach, and learn from others. Interns are assigned experienced mentors and encouraged to participate in the design review process.
- Long History: Arista has been hiring interns from universities for 10+ years and many of our interns have since returned for full time positions. There’s a good chance your interviewers or intern coordinators were once interns here themselves.
- Strong learning skills and interest in electrical engineering concepts and practices. If possible please try and provide examples in our application
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required for communicating with colleagues
- Able to work well on a team and independently.
- Thorough understanding of basic electrical engineering concepts
DESIRABLE SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Strong understanding of electromagnetic theory and waves, signal integrity: transmission line theory, crosstalk
- Prior experience in s-parameter measurements and measurement tools such as VNA/PNAs
- experience in electrical simulation software such as ADS, HFSS, or other tools
- SerDes characterization or SerDes validation scripting from previous internships
- personal projects are great! Show us something you’ve built!
- Intern events, such as white-water rafting, paintball, skydiving, etc.
- Game rooms, with board games, ping pong tables, foosball and video game consoles
- Fully stocked break rooms on every floor with free snacks, sodas, fruits, juices, and all sorts of caffeine
- A spacious cafeteria with fresh and affordable dining options
- An onsite gym and basketball court
- Salary will be disclosed at the interview
TRANSPORTATION AND HOUSING
Interns are expected to find and arrange their own housing, relocation (airfare and work visa reimbursement is provided), and transportation.
For more information on Arista Hardware Co-op and to see some pictures of our work environment, please visit http://www.arista.com/en/careers/university and click the "Hardware Engineering" tab.